Valuable Web Design Tips and Tricks
Whether you are designing your own web pages for the first time or whether you utilizing the services of a Toronto web design company, it's always useful to learn a few effective web design tips. So, read on:
1. Keep it simple and clutter-free
You may know all those cool effects on Photoshop and Fireworks, but that doesn't mean that you have to use them all on your web page. Users are put-off by designs that seem totally cluttered. Design a simple and appealing web page by:
* Creating visual focal points where vital information is provided to the user
* Organize information in the page so the user can easily find what he is looking for
* Text and visual must complement each other and one must never overpower the other
* Make sure the images are optimized for faster downloads
2. Communicate visually
Don't just use visuals to grab eyeballs. Use them to effectively communicate to the user.
Use colors to project your website's image. For example: You can use green if you promoting bio-degradeable products; pink if you're selling little girls' shoes; or restrict to using your regular corporate colors if you are an established company trying to take your business online
* Use visuals for highlighting. Use buttons to highlight links, so navigation is much easier. You can also use thumbnails in place of a text link to a graphic image.
* Direct the user to updated content or important links using visual cues like arrows or bold text or scrolls
3. Keep it content-rich
Focus on providing interesting content if you want users to come back to you, time and again. Visuals may get the user to say 'wow' the first time, but it's the content that keeps them coming back.
* Keep updating as users are always looking for fresh content
* Provide informative content in an interesting fashion
* You may keep the tone conversational and lively
* Keep it short. Users don't have time or patience to read reams of content
* Ask users for feedback and comments. Interact with users and they will come back to you
4. Keep text narrow
Keep the text layout narrow. You don't want your readers to scroll sideways to read every line. They may eventually get bored and stop reading after all. This is the same reason that newspapers also have short columns. Narrow text columns are easy-to-read and visually more appealing.
5. Be consistent
Be consistent in design across all pages of your website. Users may feel overwhelmed and may face difficulty finding vital information in your website.
* Try to use the same color schemes across web pages
* Maintain consistency in the location of key links
* Avoid using a wide variety of fonts across pages
* Consistently use easily readable fonts